Lyft makes it way easier to rent a car. Choose from a variety of vehicles. Learn how to rent a car to drive for Lyft and how to rent a car from Lyft. Lyft puts you in the driver’s seat every time while making it as easy as a few taps on your screen. Learn how to rent a car for Lyft right here.
To rent a car with Lyft, you’ll first need to pass a background check, DMV check, and driving history check, along with a safety program. Once these are completed, you can simply open up the app, request the type of vehicle you would like to rent, and go pick the vehicle up.
Lyft’s goal is to connect people with cars quickly, eliminating the red tape involved with traditional car rentals. Whether you want to start driving for the app or rent a car while on vacation, Lyft is there for you. Businesses can also rent cars for their employees.
How to Rent a Car for Lyft
These days, Lyft operates in the USA and Toronto and Ottawa. Lyft operates in 12 Canadian and 644 US towns or cities. It is easy to rent a car right from the app. If you need a car, go here.
Lyft partnered with Hertz and Felxdrive to rent cars as part of Lyft’s Express Drive program. It doesn’t matter if you don’t own your vehicle these days. Lyft Express Drive is only available in the USA.
Click here to see all the cities where Express Drive is available. Notice that Flexdrive supplies some cities while Hertz supplies others. Apply here (click on the purple Apply to Drive button).
- There are no long-term contracts. Rent for seven days or longer, you decide.
- You must be 25 + years to rent a vehicle.
- Choose a plan from their flexible pricing. Rental prices include standard maintenance, roadside assistance, and insurance.
- Drive as much or as little as you desire. There is no minimum or maximum amount of hours you can drive weekly.
- Use high-quality cars, 2018 or newer, that are fuel-efficient. Choose from hybrid and electric vehicles too.
- Meet Lyft driver requirements (driving history, background check, DMV check, driver license, license plates, insurance, completion of a safety program)
- The following states require having a driver’s license for at least one year: California, Washington, Hawaii, Vermont, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Massachusetts, and Illinois.
- Rentals are offered on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Lyft requires driver vehicles to have four doors and five to eight seatbelts.
Drivers receive acceptance rates. The percentage of ride requests drivers accept and complete turns into their acceptance rate. Drivers view these rates on their Driver’s Dashboard.
Lyft Drivers and the Future
People are asking if ridesharing apps are sustainable businesses. Lyft lost over $2 billion in 2019 and $1.27 billion in 2020. Then the good news came. August 2021 was the first quarter that the company turned profitable.
Travel during peak hours makes for a longer wait time for pick up and be more expensive. Passengers want to avoid these high prices and travel times since rides also take longer. On the other hand, peak hours are best for drivers since they can make more money in a shorter amount of time.
Employees can rent cars for all their business travel needs. And guess what? There are exclusive corporate rates too.
- Lyft offers low prices every day, up to 40% less than competitors.
- Perks from businesses are also available for personal use.
- Receive a $10 Lyft credit every time you rent a vehicle.
Renting a Car on Lyft
Another option is to rent a car for your personal use. Renting cars is especially popular while on vacation. But sometimes we need to rent a car for everyday life, like when ours is at the mechanic.
You are just a couple of clicks away from renting a car with Lyft. Here are the easy steps!
- Open the app.
- Select your location, dates and type of vehicle you want. In some cities, SIXT will complete your booking.
- Click ‘Reserve.’
Yes, it is that easy. And there are lots of benefits when using this app!
- Enjoy free add-ons, like a USB charger, ski racks, and child seats.
- Don’t worry about returning the vehicle with a full tank. Lyft fills it up, charging the market price.
- Go as far as you want. Unlimited mileage so you can go everywhere you want!
- The on-site concierge makes the experience more comfortable.