Lyft is a rideshare app that allows passengers to connect with drivers. Many people request a ride right when they need one, yet there is an option if you prefer prior preparation. Learn how to schedule Lyft in advance right here! As of now, Lyft only operates in Canada and the USA.
Go into your Lyft app and hit the “Schedule” button when you’re requesting a ride. This will allow you to schedule a ride for up to seven days in advance of when you’re making the request.
Sometimes it is stressful wondering if a Lyft ride will be available when you need it, especially if you have to be somewhere at a specific time! So if you are looking for peace of mind, scheduling a ride before the pickup time or day is a great option.
How to Schedule Lyft in Advance
The first step in using Lyft is downloading the app from your app store (Google Play or iOS App Store). Search for LYFT and install it. Passengers must be 18 or older. Anyone younger than 18 can have a ride requested for them.
The next step is to create an account. You must have a phone number, email address, and a photo of yourself to sign up. Use Lyft with Android and iPhone smartphones. The app uses a wifi connection. If you have a Windows phone or Amazon device, use the mobile site.
It is necessary to verify your identity when signing up for an account. To do this, click on the verification code sent to your phone number. Taking a selfie of yourself allows the drivers to know who they are picking up.
Just because you scheduled a ride doesn’t mean it is confirmed. Lyft never guarantees rides at the exact time they are scheduled. Yet you can program one up to a week in advance. You never get a precise time of arrival. Instead, the app gives you a window the driver will arrive.
For example, if you schedule a 5 pm pick-up time. The drive can show up between 5 and 5:10 pm. Most trips are fulfilled since Lyft drivers often pay attention to their acceptance rating.
Keep in mind that scheduled rides are not always available at every location. Additionally, be aware that scheduled rides are not available for all types of vehicles. Get more information here.
Schedule a Ride
When there is a scheduled ride, drivers can accept rides in advance. Drives receive a notification to remind them of their schedule and time to head to a destination. They need to sign into the system and accept the scheduled pick-up within a specific timeframe.
Follow these steps to schedule a ride.
- Open the app.
- Add your destination.
- Click on the ‘Schedule’ button in the bottom-right corner of the page.
- Add your pick-up location.
- Tap ‘Confirm pick-up.’
- Select the time and date of the ride you are scheduling.
- Click on ‘Set pick-up time’ and schedule the ride.
- Review your plans using the ‘Scheduled Rides’ button.
Cancel a Ride
To cancel the ride at no charge, you must do it before being confirmed by a driver. If you want to know “how many Lyft drivers there are,” click here.
Lyft’s cancellation policy gets put into play when one of the following happens.
- You cancel the ride after a driver has already confirmed it.
- The driver is en route to pick you up.
- The driver is ready to arrive within the designated pick-up time frame (5 minutes).
To cancel a ride in the app, click on ‘Edit ride’ and then ‘Cancel ride.’
A $2 cancellation fee is applied if within 15-minutes you cancel three or more rides. If you don’t show up within five minutes of the driver’s arrival, passengers pay an automatic $10 fee in most locations.
More About Using Lyft
Learn more about Lyft services right here.
- Lyft services have a coverage area. A person can travel up to 100 miles outside of the coverage area. Find more about “how far Lyft will take you here.”
- Requesting rides in peak hours increases the price of the ride. Peak hours include rush hour in the weekday mornings and evenings. When people are heading out, and establishments are closing, Friday and Saturday nights are also peak travel times.
- Learn more about “why Lyft is so expensive” right here.
Reasons to Schedule a Trip in Advance
Sometimes you need to be more prepared than others. If you have a necessary appointment, it may be better to schedule a Lyft in advance. Popular times people prefer to plan are listed below.
When going to …
- an interview
- a business meeting
- the train station
- the airport
Happy riding. Enjoy the ease of being a passenger while using Lyft!