Amazon Flex is a program by Amazon that allows drivers to deliver packages for Amazon using their own car. It pays about the same amount of Uber and other gig driving jobs, but it pays more often than other gig driving jobs.
Amazon Flex pays their drivers every Tuesday and Friday via direct deposit. To ensure prompt payment, be sure to enter your bank account information and routing number in the app before you complete your first delivery.
The rest of this article will go into more detail about the payment structure with Amazon Flex and some of the positives and negatives about working for them.
How Does Amazon Flex Payment Work?
Amazon Flex pays its drivers every Tuesday and Friday via direct deposit. No other gig driving job pays as frequently as that, which makes Amazon Flex great if you need fast cash.
Driving for Amazon Flex works a little differently than other apps, though. For one, drivers choose 3.5 hour delivery slots to work and are paid a flat rate for that time period. This guarantees that drivers will receive payment when they work a shift for Amazon Flex.
Payment for Amazon Flex is classified as 1099 income, so drivers receive no fringe benefits nor do they receive compensation for gas or miles. But they can write off expenses on their tax return.
What if You Don’t Receive an Amazon Flex Payment?
If you did not receive your Amazon Flex payment, then the likely causes are listed below:
- The bank is slow at crediting your account with the funds.
- This is the case 99% of the time.
- Amazon made some sort of mistake when calculating your pay.
- This is extremely rare, but it does happen on occasion.
Amazon does a good job making sure that employees and workers receive payment when they have earned it. If you don’t receive payment, then it’s probably something out of Amazon’s control.
Is It Worth Driving for Amazon Flex?
Driving for Amazon Flex has its positives and negatives. The positives include the following:
- Not having to interact with customers.
- Amazon Flex pays twice a week.
- The payment is fixed. There’s no randomness when it comes to how much money you earn when working an Amazon Flex shift.
- Drivers can earn around $15-$20 per hour.
However, not everyone finds working for Amazon Flex worthwhile or even enjoyable. Common complaints about Amazon Flex include:
- Difficulty delivering all the orders in the allotted time.
- Low pay for some shifts due to traffic or other extenuating circumstances.
- A lot of unpaid waiting at the Amazon warehouse.
- Amazon Flex makes you load a lot of boxes in your car, which can be unsafe.
- Amazon Flex does not reimburse for gas or wear and tear on your car. They also do not withhold taxes as drivers are independent contractors.
To wrap things up, Amazon Flex pays somewhat well, but the main benefit of working for them is that drivers can choose their own hours and receive payment twice a week. No other delivery app currently offers payment twice a week.